- coal tar
- nouna tar formed from distillation of bituminous coal; coal tar can be further distilled to give various aromatic compounds• Substance Meronyms: ↑naphthalene
* * *noun: tar obtained by the destructive distillation of bituminous coal usually in coke ovens or retorts and consisting of numerous constituents (as benzene, xylenes, naphthalene, pyridine, quinoline, phenol, cresols, light oil, creosote) that may be obtained by distillation
* * *—coal-tar, adj.a thick, black, viscid liquid formed during the distillation of coal, that upon further distillation yields compounds, as benzene, anthracene, and phenol, from which are derived a large number of dyes, drugs, and other synthetic compounds, and that yields a final residuum (coal-tar pitch), which is used chiefly in making pavements.[1775-85]
* * *coal tar nounA thick, black, opaque liquid formed when coal is distilled• • •Main Entry: ↑coal
* * *coal tar,a black, sticky substance left after bituminous coal has been distilled to make coal gas. Coal tar is used to make roofing and paving materials. Aniline dyes, flavorings, perfumes, benzene, paraffin, naphtha, and many other products contain substances made from coal tar. »
From coal tars came a series of compounds, called aromatic because of their pungent odor, whose structure took the form of ring-shaped molecules (Scientific American).
* * *n. a thick black liquid produced by the destructive distillation of bituminous coal. It contains benzene, naphthalene, phenols, aniline, and many other organic chemicals
* * *noun [noncount]: a black, sticky liquid made from coal that is used as a fuel and to make various products (such as soap)
* * *ˈcoal tar [coal tar] noun uncountablea thick black sticky substance produced when gas is made from coal
the powerful smell of coal tar soap
Useful english dictionary. 2012.